Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Weekend in Cedar City

So a few months back I had promised Hannah that I would take her on a mini vacation with me. Miranda had invited us to come down and see her and Brooks and so we took her up on the offer and spent the weekend in Cedar City with them. The above picture is looking west at the sunset over Cedar City. It was weird to be there in the Spring. I am usually there in the middle of the Summer. It was a nice change. Miranda was the perfect hostess and had yummy food waiting for us on Friday night when we arrived.
On Friday evening we went on a little exploration of Miranda and Brooks' backyard. Can you believe that this is their backyard. You just cross the street behind their place and you are in the wilderness.

On Saturday morning after breakfast we decided to hike up the mountain in the above picture. It is called the hike to the "C". C for Cedar City. I guess it is a big C on the side of the mountain that they go up and paint and see, etc. We did not make it to the C but it was a good workout nonetheless.

Then we packed ourselves a picnic lunch and we were off to the park because the wind had really picked up and we thought it would be great for kite flying. It was very windy. Here is Brooks getting a kite started.

Here is Hannah with the kite stuck to her. You can't really tell but the wings were flapping really hard.

Miranda's picturesque view of the kite flying. Pretty cool picture, huh?

Here we are struggling with the wind.

Miranda is now flying the kite. Sometimes the kite would dip down onto the ground and then it would automatically fly right back up on in the air on it's own. Not something you usually see. It ended up being too windy to picnic at the park so we had a picnic back at the house.



Hannah the kite runner.
Later on in the afternoon we watched Twilight. I would nod off once in awhile and then I would wake up a few minutes later and Brooks would have to catch me up on the story. He was very patient with me during my lethargic state.

Saturday evening, Miranda and Brooks took us out to the Ninja, a cool Japanese restaurant that they cook the food there in front of you. It was really yummy and really fun. I nearly lost my eyebrows to a huge flame but other than that we were good. I even caught a flying shrimp in my mouth. I think Miranda did too.


Here is our cook. I don't recall his name we will call him Kimji. Kimji had a funny little sense of humor. Sometimes it was hard to understand him with the accent.

Fast at work cooking our din-din.
On Sunday we went to church with them to their young marrieds ward. It was interesting to see all these young couples and then a few babies thrown in. Hannah did very well considering she had to sit through a Gospel Doctrine class, not to mention Relief Society. We had a great time and it was hard to come home and get back into the swing of things. Miranda and Brooks, thanks for a really fun weekend.

4 comments:

The Schauerhamers said...

I love flying kites and good Japanese food, especially when it is prepared right in front of me. It looks like you guys had a wonderful time. I wish we could go down and see them but we'll have to settle for Easter. I'm sure we will see you this weekend sometime.

Jennifer said...

It looks like you guys had a fun time. I think we will be up on conference weekend because Tennyson has track meet at East High on the 3rd.

Anne Adele said...

You are so talented catching shrimp in your mouth. I have always wanted to eat at a Benihana type restaurant.
It sounds like you had a good time. Hannah will want to go on many more mini vacations with you. Cedar City is always so much fun

Stacy said...

Hannah always has a great time with you! Thanks for taking her down with you.