Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th Weekend

Happy 4th of July. I just got back from C.D. I turned off the AC while I was gone and so I have come back to a sweat lodge and I thought I could blog while the house is cooling off. I was sitting here watching 1776 the movie and I can hear the beginnings of the neighborhood fireworks. It has really been a good day. The day started off with an early morning walk with Liz and then we came home and started making our food for the reunion. I was upstairs getting ready and I was starting to smell smoke and something burning. I heard Lizzy shreak and thought I better investigate. I went downstairs and saw Lizzy and John battling a grease fire and Dennis calmly decorating the flag cake. I thought I had stepped into the Twilight Zone.

Yes, who new that Dennis also has cake decorating skills. What a Rennaisance man.
Notice the haziness of the picture. It is smoke from the fire. Crazy!
John picked the cherries from Lizzy's tree and he and Rebecca made cobbler and pie for the reunion. They were scumdittleyumptious. Especially with the homemade vanilla ice cream that Arden and Tenny made.

These were the 5 cutest girls at the renuion

We had the most perfect day today for the reunion. While we were eating a rainstorm came in. It was still sunny but rain was coming down. It was just this perfect 70 some odd degree day. All we wanted to do was sit around and visit and visit we did for about 4 hours. It was nice to catch up with cousins and aunts and uncles that I get to see about once a year.

The above is a picture of the hygeine kits that we put together for Chazz's eagle project. We got about 250 done. It was quite the accomplishment. Nancy and Paul came to the reunion and I asked her how her dad was doing. She said he was doing good. I guess he was asked to be in a Mr. Golden Years pageant a month or so back and Nancy had to work and so Paul took him up to the SouthTowne Expo Center where he was in this contest. He had to answer questions and walk across the stage and and a few other things and then ended up winning and being crowned Mr. Golden Years. He was given a crown which he took back to the nursing home with him and proceeded to flaunt it to the point that it was taken away from him and locked up. He was in the Fillmore parade today because he is Mr. Golden Years. They gave his crown back to him for the day. I laughed and laughed. I thought it was the cutest story. Can you not just picture Archie doing all of this. He is 93 years old and going strong.

So Miranda and I were going through Les' closet on Friday to find some gently used toys that we could also give to Chazz's eagle project. We came across some old friends. Can you remember the stories of each.



"I hate Morgan. I hate Morgan"

Flying kitty that Banner threw onto Dennis and Liz's bed.

The lizard that Ben gave Les and then we all played with it

A battered Teddy Ruxpin. He met with an accident and his nose got busted.

I think that Rachel gave this to Les for Christmas. It is a cute puppet.

I just loved this little bunny of Ben's. It just reminds me of him when he was a little guy.

3 comments:

Rebecca, John & Gabe said...

So, did you actually find anything to donate? Or did you find you just couldn't part with the memories? It's been a great weekend.

Alan and Shelley said...

I'm glad you posted about the reunion. It was good for me to see pics of everything I missed. I love that Dennis has hidden cake decorating talents. So what started to grease fire? I'm really impressed with the 259 hygiene kits. I'm assuming Don and Mary Ann came down. How is Don and the other uncles? Loved the story about Archie- so typical. He is a charmer. And its cool that you found all the stuffed friends in Les's room. Who knew she had so many memories stuffed in her closet? I have always loved that moose and bunny because of sweet Ben.

The Schauerhamers said...

It's a fourth of July Miracle! No water fight at the Reunion? It's official the schauerhamers now have internet. So let's skype asap. We will be down in Thornton for a BBQ and fireworks this evn' but tomorrow we should definitly talk. I loved the pictures and the story about Archie. I remember watching a home video of Ben and his Teddy Ruxbin. Sweet.