Monday, October 10, 2011

The Blue Belt

Jonas invited me to come to his blue belt presentation on Saturday.  So we headed off to Sandy to see the event.  I had no idea that it was going to be as big or intense as it was.  There are 3 West Winds Karate Schools in the valley and they all came together for the presentation.  Here he is waiting for it to start.
So serious because this is serious business. 

So there was a  black belt leader in the front of the room and he was calling out names of moves and then they had to do them.   As you can see it was a good sized group.   They had already done the lower belt colors so this was orange on up I think.
He did very well.

There were some tense moments for me anyway when the 3 purple belts were asked to do the moves or whatever you call them.  Karate is very cerebral.  Who knew?  It is all about memorization, control and lots of other things too.  So Jonas and the 2 other girls were in the front of the room doing the things as they were called out.  It was a very long set of moves and Buddy was starting to forget some of them.  The older girl had finished and the younger girl had given up and Jonas was still trying to remember and finish his up.  His teacher Mr. Hatch was giving him some reminders but it was so hard for me and others to see him struggle like that in front of everyone.  The amazing thing was that he just kept on going and persevered and ended up finishing it.  Then everyone clapped for him.  I was sweating bullets for him.  I recorded it but can't post it.   I was worried about him actually earning his blue belt.  It was only after when Stacy told me that he had already done his testing and earned his belt and this was just an exhibition type thing.  I wish I would have known that at the time.  It would have been a lot less stressful.

Little sister waiting for it to start.  They have you take off your shoes to walk on the karate matt.  It is super soft and cushy.  I want it in my house. 


Here he has been presented with his new belt.  It looks black but it is really navy blue.  He looks very flushed because he also had to spar with some of the other kids.  They dress up in pads and then kick and punch and you know, fight.  He was trying to spar with the girl that is a foot and half taller than him. So all of that plus the head gear he had to wear made him very sweaty and flushed.

They were asked to take off their old belts and then put on the new one.

I was very proud of him.  He has worked so hard on his karate.  He has plans to be a black belt before he goes on his mission.  You go Buddy Boy!  Apparently now that he is a blue belt he now wears a black uniform instead of white.  That will be cool to see him in that.

The family that got him where he is today.
After an afternoon of karate it was of course craft time.  I like to keep a balance in my life.  I had seen a wreath on Leslie's Pinterest that I wanted to make.  So I whipped this up.  Okay, Hobby Lobby whipped it up and I spray painted a "J" and tied it on with a bow.  I think it looks very cute and I don't think I could have made it for any cheaper than I bought it.   I think it looks very Autumnal.  Looking forward to seeing quite a few of you within the next few days.  I am going to be going to Disneyland with Leah and Lily next week.  Can you think of anything cuter than seeing their little faces when they see Sleeping Beauty's Castle and the Teacups and the Dumbo Ride.  I cannot wait. I wish all of you were going with us.

BTW-  Jonas now has a phone in his bedroom. He has been calling me everynight before bed.  He told me that he was interested in going to Hawaii with me but that he was concerned because he does not know how to speak Hawaiian.  He also asked if it would be alright if he called me in the middle of the night if he wakes up.  I did not give him permission.  He also told me last night to not feel bad if I did not call him every night.   These nightly conversations are most amusing.   I wonder if he will call again tonight.  If not, I will try not to feel bad.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much for letting us sleep at your house. The wreath is very nice and perfect for fall. Why won't you let Jonas call in the middle of the night?

Alan and Shelley said...

Wow, Jonas has an intense life, what with the karate and his own phone. Cute wreath. I need to show what I've been doing the lat couple of days. It's been really intense and princess-y. I need to post tomorrow.

Stacy said...

When I hear any conversation going on in his room at bedtime, I will know who he is on the phone with. Too funny! I hope the hole in the wall is back to normal! The karate will only get more intense as he gets older, but I think he did a fine job.