Saturday, August 28, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


So it has come to my attention that several of you are in need of a good recipe to use up all that zucchini you are growing in your gardens.  I have had a few requests for this recipe and so I wanted to share it with you and see if you like it as much as I do.  Funny story.  Jonas and Josh belong to a karate school and they were going to have a year end party/BBQ or something like that.  There was a food sign up and Jonas apparently told someone at the school that his Aunt Sara could bring a chocolate cake with chocolate chips on top and so he signed me up.  I told him that I would make it for him but that he would have to help me.  So last night we made the cake. Then of course the secret was out that this cake that he loves actually has zucchini in it.  If you want to hide the fact that it has zucchini in it you can peel the zucchini before grating it.   I have made it several times this Summer as I am producing more zucchini than I know what to do with.  So I thought I would share the love.  This is actually Shelley's recipe.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. oil
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs

Cream the above ingredients then add
1 t. vanilla 
1/2 c. sour cream
2 1/2 c. flour
 4 T. cocoa
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. cloves
2 c. grated zucchini

Mix the rest of the ingredients and then spread into a 9x13 (dripper) pan then sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 mins.  

Enjoy!


1 comment:

The Schauerhamers said...

I will be making this again. Mine tasted pretty good except that the bottom was a little scorched from baking it on the grill. Whodathought? Anyway, thanks for the recipe and cute story. We love our zuccini recipes. Today we just had it microwaved for 8 minutes with a little cheese and salt and peppper. It was delicious. It's a good thing we like zucchini!