On Friday night we gathered for a little pre-birthday celebration for Liz. Leslie made a large delicious trifle. I did not get a picture of it before we dug in.
Everyone enjoying the trifle.
Maren having her little snuggle with Lizzy.
I bought a croquet set and so we set that up for a game or two.
Gabe has found a new passion.
The next day we wanted to go to the temple in the morning. We soon found out that plan would not work out. I guess the temple was closed for the holiday. We decided to go to Ikea instead. Not quite as spiritual as the temple but very entertaining. Especially when Noah was giving Miranda and Kelsie rides on one of the carts. I wish I had had a picture of that. Unfortunately I did not think about taking my camera to Ikea. I did get me a Poang chair, very ergonomic. Then after shopping we went swimming at the Murray pool. It was a very crowded but we wedged our way in. It was very fun. The kids loved the big slide. There were a few contests on the diving board. A few of us even enjoyed a massage. We laid under the waterfall and let the water massage our backs. Very relaxing. Then for the last hour we just lazed about talking and laying in the shallow end, getting sun-burned unbeknownst to us.
After swimming we had to hurry home to get cooking for our Pioneer Dinner. Of course scones were on the menu.
We invited our Arab friend over to make root beer for us. He did a great job.
Ribs and Pageant Chicken were also on the menu.
We had a major smoke out. At one time the backyard was all filled with smoke.
What pioneer dinner is complete without Campfire Potatoes?
The finished scones. We served them up with honey butter and Shelley's homemade strawberry jam. Delicious!
Good company and good food.
Then it was time for the firework show in the front yard.
This was Jonas doing a sparkler in circles.
This year the state decided to allow fireworks that go up 150 feet in the air. It was apparently to make money on sales tax. I went and picked up a few larger fireworks. We set some fountains and aerial fireworks off. There were also a few others in the neighborhood lighting them off and so we could see what others were doing.
On Sunday we went to church and then got together for dinner at Josh and Stacy's. After dinner we had Whitney do ancestor spotlights. She talked about James Hazlett Jack and James Lester Jorgensen and others. We played a few games and then started to hear some fireworks going on outside. We went out and let's just say for the next 2 hours we had a firework show, courtesy of all of Josh and Stacy's neighbors. It was very good. Bishop Decker brought over his illegals from out of state that shot up more than 150 feet. They were the size that you would see at a professional show. We enjoyed those right on the front lawn. Incredible.
The next morning we got together for a breakfast and a little parade watching on TV. We did more eating than parade watching.
Then we went to the park for a picnic and playing.
Maren practicing her batting
More croquet
My handsome boys.
I was pushing Essie in the swing and she started nodding off. As soon as I took her out though she got her second wind and then started rolling down the hills.
Arden playing catch with her dad.
Whitney was wiped out.
Later on in the evening Shelley and I went to see 17 Miracles. A new movie about the miracles that happened with the Willey handcart company. It was a perfect way to end Pioneer weekend. It was an amazing movie. I had never heard about these miracles until this movie. I recommend seeing it. I cried through most of it. Hope you all had a happy 24th wherever and however you celebrated it.
Happy Birthday to Lizzy and Jenny!
P.S. While I was doing this blog I was watching "I Dream of Jeannie". Now that is quality television. I watched the episode where Major plays the Minute Waltz in 37 seconds on the little red spinnet.




5 comments:
It was the best weekend! Fireworks at Liberty Park were amazing this year. All sorts of new kinds of fireworks and the finale was fantastic! Did we decide if we are going to do this every year or every other year?
It looks like we really missed out. We did have a nice, but very quiet weekend.
Looks like you guys had a good time, wish it hadn't been at the same time as the Hawkes reunion but that's okay, we had really good time here. Lots of sun, family and food.
I forgot about the Ikea trip, the scones, and the swimming when I was telling Alan all we did on the weekend. Glad to see your post to remind me of everything. It was a good way to spend my July 24th weekend and I had a great time. The best was in the swimming pool relaxing and having a massage. So good to see all of you this month.
With all the good food we had last weekend, I swear I gained 10 lbs! But, Oh, soooo goood! Lots of fun for the weekend!
Post a Comment