Sunday, July 17, 2011

Maren's Birthday



Maren showing us how old she is now. 
Maren informed me last week that she wanted to stay at my house the night before her birthday so that when she went back home everyone would then be able to jump out and surprise her for her birthday.  I guess she has been a part of a few surprise birthday parties as of late.  She decided that she wanted the same.  I notified her parents that this was her expectation. 

I asked her what she would like for her birthday breakfast.  She requested panacakes, as she calls them and sausage. 


She had also decided what gift she wanted me to give her.  She wanted a nightstand.  I was desperately looking for something the past few days.  I finally found something that I thought might work.  I did have to repaint it.  I also asked Leslie to do a little hand painting on it.  She did a great job as usual on the little details. 
Leslie got the ideas for the flowers from some Tasha Tudor books. 

Stacy decided it would be fun to go miniature golfing before the birthday party started.  Stacy has pictures of the golfing adventures.  After the golfing Maren wanted to do a waterfight.  We did one last Saturday and I think she thought is was great fun and should be repeated. 
And the water started flying

and flying
and flying.
Little by little everyone got wet except Whitney who was a little under the weather so she was good enough to take the pictures.
Actually everyone got soaking wet.  No matter how wet you are it is still shocking to get a face full of cold water.

Then we had a dry off and started serving up the drinks.
I was in charge of drinks and decided to have some fun with it.  I had these umbrellas in my cupboard and thought it would be fun to use them.  We had tropical punch.
Here is Maren pretending she is on the beach with her drink.  Her smile reminds me of one we saw quite frequently on Hannah at this age. 
Stacy made the cake.  She did a good job don't you think?  Maren has switched it up a little.  Her new favorite color is blue and she wanted it on her cake. 

It was a fun-filled day.  So fun-filled that I ended up having to sleep 10 hours to recover from it.  

Hope everyone is enjoying their July.   

3 comments:

The Schauerhamers said...

I LOVE that little nightstand! You did a great job of picking it out and Leslie did a great job of painting the details! I bet Maren loved it! She'll have to get an equally cute little lamp so she can read her little stories just before bed. The water fight looks like a blast and the drinks look scrumptious and festive. Stacy did do a great job on the cake, it's so fun to come up with fun ideas for birthday cakes, I wish mine turned out a little better though. we're looking forward to all of you coming up for Zack's homecoming. I don't want to wish away our summer but I wish it would come faster!

Stacy said...

It was a fabulous day! Maren had a great day, all day. She has loved all of her gifts, although we are still trying to get her to sleep in bed at night.

Alan and Shelley said...

Wow, I never before heard of having a fight for a birthday. I guess in July when it's warm you can do anything you want to for fun. What a good party, and your drinks looked scrumptious. I never thought the day would come when Maren's favorite color would not be pink. She is surely changing.