So the past few weeks the raised flower bed on the east side of the backyard has been crumbling and so Andrew wanted a new project. He tore it down and then we researched this DIY retaining wall and decided that would be the way to go.
So last night Josh, Morgan, Andrew, Leah, Hannah and I went to Home Depot to buy the bricks and load them home. I paid for them and then we had to wait an hour to have a forklift bring them out to Josh's truck and the explorer. Morgan and I guessed that each brick weighed about 15-20 pounds each and I bought 140 of them. Let's just say it was low rider all the way home to the house. It was very scary seeing the forklift load them onto Joshs truck. The back bumper was just a few inches from the ground and his tires were flat. I was worried that his truck would never be the same. It then took us about another hour to unload them. I was complaining earlier in the day because I had not been able to get a work-out in. Well that was taken care of. Carrying 20 pound bricks from the frontyard to the backyard was very sweat producing.
Anyway Morgan and Andrew spent yesterday preparing for the bricks and then today putting them into place. Doesn't it look great. I was very pleased with the end result. I have a few left over and so I need to come up with a plan for the extras. It has been really nice to have Andrew so motivated and wanting to do yardwork. He has fixed the whole sprinkler system and of course the retaining wall and taken down the old fence for the new one to go up and pulled out some shrubs on the west side of the house. He loves to pull out shrubs.
I really like this picture because it shows off the fence and the new wall so well. My neighbor Brent paid for the new fence but the deal was we had to tear down the old and dispose of it. So far it is not disposed of yet but I am trying to come up with a plan. My neighbor has also had lots of opinions on what I should do with my yard. I am not sure why. I think he will be pleased with the new addition. Thank you Andrew and Morgan for all your hard work!
I took this picture the other day and thought it was pretty sweet. She loves to fall asleep with her Daddy in the big chair. Thanks Leah for being a good girl while your parents have been working hard in Aunt Sara's yard.




5 comments:
i'm very impressed with andrew and morgan's skill and hard work. wow, it looks great. i wonder when i'll be able to see it for myself. your back yard looks very sunny.
What a difference a beautiful fence and hard work can make. "I surely do appreciate a beautiful yard", as one old farmer said to me last week. Well I think it looks beautiful. I cracked up about Josh's low rider pickup and the tires. I would have laughed all the way home. You will find yourself out in your backyard a lot from now on, just because you have something lovely to look at.
Wow, is all I can say! And you thought you were only going to get your little garden in!! I love it.
All of the hard work paid off. It looks wonderful.
Well I think it looks pretty good myself. We actually enjoyed working on it together. The first row took quite a while to put in, we really tried to make things as flat and level as we could. But after that it seemed to go quite fast,probably because I was really anxious to see the final. I just remember being like a machine putting those bricks on while walking through the sprinklers getting drenched and then sweat dripping into my eyes and it really stinging. I just kept telling myself, "Keep going!!!" Oh well all the hard work paid off I think. It looks great. It was a fun project. Andrew now wants to work on Stacy's hard and get her a garden plot. We will probably do that tomorrow. Maybe we can get the kids to help. WE enjoyed Bear Lake and will have to get some video on the blog because I wasn't able to take pictures. It was a blast. WEll see you soon.
Post a Comment